How is a wh- word, which means that it marks something that is unknown. It is most often translated with comme, comment or combien. It is used when you want to know the method, the manner, or the way something is done, or is going.
- How are you doing? comment vas-tu?
- How do you do? comment allez-vous? used only when you meet someone for the first time ever
- How is it going? (comment) ça va?
- How can I get a refund? comment je fais pour me faire rembourser?
- How can you tell if it is cooked? comment peut-on voir si c'est cuit?
- How shall I put it? euh... comment dire?
It is used in combination with ADJ and ADV to ask about degree or measure.
- How old is your car? Elle a quel âge, ta voiture?
- I didn't realize just how cold it would get at night in the desert. Je ne me rendais pas compte jusqu'à quel degré il fait froid dans le desert la nuit.
- How tall are you?
- How much will it cost?
- How many hours did you work this week?
- How many people came? remember that people is the plural of person
- How often do you see your family?
- I don't know how good this milk is. It's been open for several days.
- It's amazing how small computers have become in my lifetime.
- I don't know how to fix this bug.
- We haven't figured out how to fix the bug.
- I don't understand how this got broken.
- however 1. pourtant, en revanche, 2. peu importe comment
- howsoever de quelque manière que ce soit (à verifier... ??), quelconque
- know-how savoir-faire