When I had journeyed half of our life's way
I found myself within a shadowed forest,
for I had lost the path that does not stray.
Nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita
mi ritrovai per una selva oscura
ché la diritta via era smarrita.
- Which way should we go to get back to the hotel?
- I got some bread on the way back home.
- I'm on my way.
- highway, motorway, tollway,
- skyway, freeway, etc.
- That's not the way I do it. cf. That's not how I do it.
- What's the best way to keep bugs from eating your tomatoes?
- That's no way to speak to your (mother) / (father) / (boss) / (employees)!
- The way (that) she talks, you would think (that) she was the boss.
- That's just the way (that) things have always been done.
(Here way is a very informal equivalent of much or far...)
- That's way too much work.
- That's way too big.
- -- No way! C'est pas vrai!
-- Way. Si, si.
No way! also means pas question!
- away: particule qui décrit un éloignement
- underway: en cours
- layaway: achat à livraison différée, achat par anticipation
- breakaway: échappée, séparatiste
- runaway (n. / adj.): fugueu(r)(se), galopant
Expressions / idioms
- "She tapped Mrs. Delacroix on the arm as a farewell and began to make her way through the crowd." (Shirley Jackson, "The Lottery")