- as ADJ as = aussi ADJ que
- as ADV as = aussi ADV que
- as many Ns as = autant de Ns que
- as few Ns as = aussi peu de Ns que
- as much N as = autant de N que
- as little N as = aussi peu de N que
The first correlator can be replaced with so, though this is very marked (and rare).
- just as ADJ as. ("But elder brother was just as late (last night) as I was (tonight), and you hardly said a word to him.")
Non-equivalence / proportion
- not as funny as Mr Bean
- half as wise as all that
- half as many again (= 50% more)
- half as much effort (see contexts: )
- twice as many people
- twice as much traffic
- three times as many cars
- As I was on call anyway, I decided to go in to work. --> Puisque/Comme j'étais d'astreinte de toutes façons, j'ai décidé d'aller bosser.
Marker of simultaneity
- As I was parking, I realized I had forgotten my cellphone. En me garant, je me suis rendu compte que j'avais oublié mon portable.