- as ADJ as = aussi ADJ que
- as ADV as = aussi ADV que
- as many Ns as = autant de Ns que
- as few Ns as = aussi peu de Ns que
- as much N as = autant de N que
- as little N as = aussi peu de N que
The first correlator can be replaced with so, though this is very marked (and rare).
- just as ADJ as. ("But elder brother was just as late (last night) as I was (tonight), and you hardly said a word to him.")
- as is not followed immediately by comparatives (e.g. older, more involved, etc.) because "as" is used in comparisons of (non-)equivalence
whereas comparatives are used in comparisons of superiority/inferiority with than.
- as is not generally used with superlatives. The single exception I know is "best" (see expressions below).
Non-equivalence / proportion
- That's not as funny as when...
- We could do with half as many wisecracks.
- half as much effort (see contexts: )
- twice as many people
- twice as much traffic
- three times as many cars
- As I was on call anyway, I decided to go in to work. --> Puisque/Comme j'étais d'astreinte de toutes façons, j'ai décidé d'aller bosser.
Marker of simultaneity
- As I was parking, I realized I had forgotten my cellphone. En me garant, je me suis rendu compte que j'avais oublié mon portable.
- as far as [X] goes, ... -- Quant à [X], ...
- as far as I know -- pour autant que je sache, à ma connaissance
- as far as I can tell -- d'après ce que je comprends
- as best as I can tell -- d'après ce que je comprends ("
as well as I can tell" would follow grammar rules better, but real word use and grammatical consistency are two different things. :D )
- as you (wish / like) -- comme tu veux
- as you see fit
- as much as I would like to...
- as for: quant à
- try as I might, I couldn't [X]: J'ai beau essayer, mais je n'arrivais pas à [X].
- inasmuch as: dans la mésure où, étant donné que, ...
- insofar as: dans la mésure où, pour autant que, ...