Introduces a subject, theme, or topic as its grammatical object.
- I don't know much about history,
don't know much about the French
(Cf. Sam Cook, "What a Wonderful World" §§)
- [...] everyone's concerned about Industrial Disease
On ITV and BBC they talk about the curse
(Cf. Dire Straits, "Industrial Disease" §§)
Used in the same way as around... as a particle indicating non-goal directed activity:
- People were milling about in the public square, waiting for the candidate to speak.
Quantifier-modifier (degree adverb)
- It will take about an hour.
- It's about 20 kilometers from here.
- That's just about enough! Alors là, vraiment, ça suffit!
- Google: about 17 billion occurrences.